A wholly owned subsidiary of one of the world's largest pharmaceutical companies
One of our client’s leading products is an approved drug for glaucoma/ocular hypertension. We have handled the prosecution of the key European patents from their initial filing through to the present day.
Across that timeline our main achievements have been:
- To secure the grant of three patents which protect the marketed drug
- To win a crucial victory for the second patent against seven opponents in EPO opposition, a victory that promoted the inventor to describe our performance at the hearing as “stellar”
- To obtain a preliminary High Court injunction that prevented a generic launch
- To secure the grant of the final patent and file SPC applications that we will defend if/when they are opposed
- To secure the grant of all SPC applications based on the second patent before its expiry in August 2014
- To assist in the negotiations to secure opponent withdrawal on the first patent
- To advise on and then file applications for paediatric extension of the SPCs, several of which have now been granted
This series of success has allowed our client to maintain and extend the exclusivity of their product. While some firms may be able to help with some of those issues, very few have the expertise required to successfully tend to them all.
We do have all of this experience within our team which is why we were trusted to work alongside the innovator (as opposed to generic) side of the business to secure business critical protection for their largest product, a product that is worth in excess of $500m.
For further details of this type of work, contact Dr Oliver Kingsbury.